Re: Found a solution, and a note for the guy who was curious about putting two devices on one IDE channel

Subject: Re: Found a solution, and a note for the guy who was curious about putting two devices on one IDE channel
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 01:28:06 AKST

Yeah, you don't want slower drives on the ide chain with your hardrive.
Everthing slows to the speed of the slowest device. So if you put a
udma33 drive on with a udma66 drive on a udma66 controller, you get
udma33 max from both drives.

I think this was one of the reasones they started putinng 2 ide
controllers in computers as cdroms got popular. It gave you one chain
for hardisks and one chain for slower drives.

I thought I heard something about a new cdrom that would do udma66, If
correct, this might change things.

Jim