Re: Found a solution, and a note for the guy who was curious about putting two devices on one IDE channel

Subject: Re: Found a solution, and a note for the guy who was curious about putting two devices on one IDE channel
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 11:43:15 AKST

On Friday 07 December 2001 01:28 am, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> Yeah, you don't want slower drives on the ide chain with your hardrive.
> Everthing slows to the speed of the slowest device. So if you put a
> udma33 drive on with a udma66 drive on a udma66 controller, you get
> udma33 max from both drives.
>

> I think this was one of the reasones they started putinng 2 ide
> controllers in computers as cdroms got popular. It gave you one chain
> for hardisks and one chain for slower drives.
>
> I thought I heard something about a new cdrom that would do udma66, If
> correct, this might change things.
>
> Jim
>
> On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 21:16, Mac Mason wrote:
> > Well, I saw something on the linux-raid howto that seemed to say that
> > the system was smarter than that. It was, too: I put the drive on the
> > mobo channel, and *poof* 30-odd MB/s.
> > However: I originally put it as the master on a channel with my DVD
> > Drive as slave. Result there? 7 mb/s. Unhooked the DVD, and poof.
> > So whoever it was that was curious about that, there you go.
> >
> > ~Mac~

Hmmm,

with some chipsets, you are correct, while with others there is a
device-specific setting.

You might want to try running drakopt on your hard disk setup rig. It should
work OK with any system using SysV init. It will give you a good idea
whether the chipset is capable of device-specific setting. In general kernel
disk optimizations will set for the slowest device on a channel, but I
managed mdma2 on a hard disk with an Intel 440FX chipset while the CDROM
peaked out at PIO4. CD was slave and HDD was master same channel on my old
PPro firewall.

Civileme

drakopt depends on Python 1.5.2 or later, and requires rpm4 for install. It
can be found on any Mandrake mirror.