kernel compilation problems

Subject: kernel compilation problems
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbin@alaska.net)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 00:45:57 AKST

I wanted to try playing around with some patches & software that hasn't
been updated to work in the 2.4.x kernel tree so I am attempting to
compile a 'stock' 2.2.x kernel from the kernel mirror.

I am starting out with rh7.0 with all updates (that I know of anyway).
It comes standard with a RH patched 2.2.16 kernel, definantly non-stock.

I downloaded the stock 2.2.16 kernel source from the aklug mirror and
checked it with gpg and unpacked it into /usr/src.

I ran 'make mrproper', and 'make oldconfig' (choosing only the
defaults).

When I 'make bzlilo' I get all sorts of problems and warnings and finish
up with 1 - error 1 and 2 - error 2's and no kernel.

examples of the messages I get are:

        extra tokens at end of #endif directive
        extra tokens at end of #undif directive
        Warning: using '%eax' instead of '%ax' due to 'l' suffix
        warning: parting ...(a bunch of different variables)... does not give a
valid preprocessing token
        Warning: indirect lcall without '*'

I probably get each of these 50 times or so.

It seems that a stock kernel should compile fairly easily - maybe not
run, but compile. Is it possible that I am using an incompatable gcc (I
have 2.96-85)?

Any pointers to what I might have going wrong would be appreciated.

Jim