Re: win 2000 / autocad / linux print serving.

Subject: Re: win 2000 / autocad / linux print serving.
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 01:32:31 AKST

This one-man office has been running VariCad <http://www.varicad.com> on
a SuSE Linux box since SuSE 5.3.

"D" size plotting gets uploaded to DIGITAL blueprint:
        http://www.digital-blueprint.com

Parallel-port connected Epson 1270 13"x48" inkjet does all the smaller,
and photo repro to boot. It uses six each half-pint continuous flow ink
bottles with hoses to cartridge (MIS Associates
http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm?source=html/cobra.html
 ... and yes, there is more inkjet/ink/cartridge info than you care to
read :-)

lee@afabco.com wrote:

> I have an office I'm setting up with several draftspersons and a few support
> folks. None of them are technos, nor do they want to be. There's an HP
> colorjet 88x-something, a laserjet 4, a colorjet 1220c, and a designjet 500
> plotter. All their machines are running win2000, autocad 2002, and autocad
> 14, as well as the usual suite o'stuff.
>
> the designjet plotter has a jetdirect in it, so it's on the 10BaseT, so it
> is not part of this discussion (yet).
>
> I'd like to put the colorjet 88x-whatever on a linux box that will act as a
> print server for the rest of the system.
>
> 1. Can I do this with the USB yet, or should I go ahead and stick with the
> parallel port?
>
> 2. Is the print shares best done with samba? or is it best to set it up as
> an lpr, and use the lpr ports on the NT2000 machines? There is a negligible
> chance that they'll want to use the file services part of samba, so that's
> not a consideration for this year or next.
>
> My criteria are:
>
> Rock-solid, trouble-free, they-shouldn't-even-be-aware-it's-there service
> (did I mention that these folks are adamantly non-techno?).
>
> second criteria: Rock-solid, trouble-free, no one should even know it's
> there......<G>.
>
> given those criteria, and given the flakiness (to put it mildly) of
> autocad,

Did you look at http://www.vdraft.com in Bellingham?
It is Windows based, but reportadly likes WINE.