win 2000 / autocad / linux print serving.

Subject: win 2000 / autocad / linux print serving.
lee@afabco.com
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 00:01:02 AKST

I have an office I'm setting up with several draftspersons and a few support
folks. None of them are technos, nor do they want to be. There's an HP
colorjet 88x-something, a laserjet 4, a colorjet 1220c, and a designjet 500
plotter. All their machines are running win2000, autocad 2002, and autocad
14, as well as the usual suite o'stuff.

the designjet plotter has a jetdirect in it, so it's on the 10BaseT, so it
is not part of this discussion (yet).

I'd like to put the colorjet 88x-whatever on a linux box that will act as a
print server for the rest of the system.

1. Can I do this with the USB yet, or should I go ahead and stick with the
parallel port?

2. Is the print shares best done with samba? or is it best to set it up as
an lpr, and use the lpr ports on the NT2000 machines? There is a negligible
chance that they'll want to use the file services part of samba, so that's
not a consideration for this year or next.

My criteria are:

Rock-solid, trouble-free, they-shouldn't-even-be-aware-it's-there service
(did I mention that these folks are adamantly non-techno?).

second criteria: Rock-solid, trouble-free, no one should even know it's
there......<G>.

given those criteria, and given the flakiness (to put it mildly) of
autocad, I'm leaning to using the parallel port, and samba.

If that's successful, I may go ahead and spool the designjet thru the linux
box. But the designjet is working now, and it seems like everytime I even
think about making a change to a plotter (any plotter), it cheerfully and
with great relish and abandon decides to make my life interesting.

Thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks!

Lee