Re: hostname changing

Subject: Re: hostname changing
From: Julien Franiatte (julienf@cam.nist.gov)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 05:25:54 AKST

Let's take a more general situation:the IP changes at every connection and
when the lease is over.
Note: this is also the case for a dial up connection.
Solution: there is some free dynamic dns services out there, some of them
are free, others not.
I had a very good experience with www.yi.org and www.d2g.com
The principle is the following: you put a client on your machine that
updates the dns server every so ofter and at every new connection. I have
a couple script if needed.
Catch22: you will only be able to pick the name of the machine. Say your
box's name is tarzan, you will be able to connect to it via: tarzan.yi.org
for instance.
Pluses: you can set up a connect on dial on your box via a phone line and
access your machine at home from work just by making the phone ring.

I hope it helps,

Julien