[aklug] Re: Linux on a laptop

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 12 2013 - 00:04:30 AKST

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Arthur Corliss
<acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Greg Schmitz wrote:
>
> Jeremy,
>>
>> I run Linux on some pretty old machines and with great success. Perhaps
>> I'm "old school" but when I pay $1500 dollars, or more for something, I
>> expect it to last for more than "7 or 8 years." Apple has been screwing
>> its customer base for years (I still have a couple Quadras - remember those
>> at almost 3 grand each?) Apple's game is kinda obvious if you look at the
>> time frames for their security updates for, oh say 10.4, - which got less
>> than 2 years support. Spend your money as you wish, I've had it with Apple
>> hardware.
>>

> :-) When I started my Power port of Nevaeh Linux I began with a G3 iMac.
> Still have a G5 workstation here, now. That said, for all the bad things
> about life in the Apple ecosystem, they've become mainstream enough that
> you
> can get some smoking deals on ebay & craigslist.
>
> Bought a 2008 Macbook aluminum unibody this year, in fact, for $300. I
> have
> been *very* impressed with the durability and generally sweet industrial
> design of the milled aluminum bodies. It's not a toughbook, but it's by
> far
> the prettiest and toughest of any regular Intel-based laptop I've ever
> owned. Key mappings take awhile to get used to, though.

From what I can tell Apple hardware does in general last at least as long
as comparably priced hardware. I understood Greg's problems to be software
related, as the only specific objects he's mentioned have been software
related. Greg, is your frustration that the hardware itself is wearing out?

I too enjoy it when hardware keeps on ticking. A desktop G4, bought in the
early days of the century, I used as a primary machine for over 7 years. It
is *still* in use, having been put somewhat out to pasture to run old PCI
hardware that won't work with newer systems. My current desktop is likewise
old by some standards, but I selected it carefully for value and
upgradability at the time, and it's delivered. I'm more bothered by the
current trend to glue everything together and prevent hardware upgrades.
Long way from when I was swapping cards in an Apple ][+.

I would certainly expect a $1500 system to last given the right care. But
at some point the repair costs—should there be actual hardware failure
(Dell desktop capacitors, anyone?)—exceed the value of the machine.

Greg, I'm not trying to convince you to buy Apple hardware. I buy and
support all kinds. My experiences have been different than yours, perhaps,
and I'm sharing my viewpoint. In earlier eras, Macs were 'overpriced', but
now that Apple leads in volume in so many areas, it can be tough for other
manufacturers to compete on price and performance. Eventually, I'm sorry to
say, we may be forced to solder our own ex nihilo. :)

Remembering my G3 Powerbook very fondly,
jermudgeon