[aklug] Re: Linux on a laptop

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Mon Nov 11 2013 - 23:59:47 AKST

On 11/11/2013 11:47 PM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Arthur Corliss wrote:
>
>> :-) When I started my Power port of Nevaeh Linux I began with a G3 iMac.
>> Still have a G5 workstation here, now. That said, for all the bad
>> things
>> about life in the Apple ecosystem, they've become mainstream enough
>> that you
>> can get some smoking deals on ebay & craigslist.
>>
>> Bought a 2008 Macbook aluminum unibody this year, in fact, for $300.
>> I have
>> been *very* impressed with the durability and generally sweet industrial
>> design of the milled aluminum bodies. It's not a toughbook, but it's
>> by far
>> the prettiest and toughest of any regular Intel-based laptop I've ever
>> owned. Key mappings take awhile to get used to, though.
>
> Oh, and having children in the house I should mention: MagSafe power
> connectors are the freaking bee's knees. I can't tell you how many of
> those
> "other" external power supplies I've had to resolder and repair due to
> running chuckleheads tripping over cords...
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

Seems your millage is different than mine Arthur. I like to solder and
repair things especially if it saves me money; besides I don't have any
kids around to trip over cords - just me. I'd be willing to put used
Apple Intel machines into the mix, but not new Apple machines. I think
I've made my reasons clear - if not I'd be happy to recite my
experiences with Apple. My first computer was an Apple 2+ with a couple
of RANA drives and Microsoft memory for what it's worth, oh yeah and a
spiffy CPM card that you had to throw a switch on (a real switch not a
virtual switch) to get the video to the monitor - still have the machine
and the drives.

--g