[aklug] Re: Linux on a laptop

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Nov 12 2013 - 00:29:26 AKST

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Greg Schmitz wrote:

> Seems your millage is different than mine Arthur. I like to solder and
> repair things especially if it saves me money; besides I don't have any kids
> around to trip over cords - just me. I'd be willing to put used Apple Intel
> machines into the mix, but not new Apple machines. I think I've made my
> reasons clear - if not I'd be happy to recite my experiences with Apple. My
> first computer was an Apple 2+ with a couple of RANA drives and Microsoft
> memory for what it's worth, oh yeah and a spiffy CPM card that you had to
> throw a switch on (a real switch not a virtual switch) to get the video to
> the monitor - still have the machine and the drives.

You might want to recalculate your mileage, then. I've yet to replace a
single MagSafe power supply, versus my time, solder, flux, and a new
connector -- and newly shortened cord ;-) -- to see how the math is a
problem. While I am cheap, I'd rather save my soldering experiences for
building new toys or new circuit problems to troubleshoot, than doing the
same repetitive repair a couple times a year.

I'm not advocating for Apple, just stating that the used market actually
makes them much more reasonable. I've never bought anything of theirs new,
and their retail pricing structure is reason #1.

My history with Apple conveniently skipped from the Apple II to that G3. I
didn't really have a use for them until I need a cheap way to bootstrap
Nevaeh onto the IBM POWER platform. My Intel experience with them is rather
new, but I have to say I'm impressed. The quality difference between the
aluminum unibodies and an average laptop is stark. Not enough for me to
ditch my toughbooks, but a decent compromise when form factor is more of an
issue.

Oh, and I buy my toughbooks used, too, just in case we have a "who's
cheaper" contest going. ;-) I think the last computer I actually bought
new was probably more than twenty years ago. I think it was a Toshiba
Satellite 80386SX, back when dual scan color LCDs were brand new. That was
a bad idea. My previous new purchase before that was a TRS-80 1000EX, and I
got a lot more mileage out of that than the laptop.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die