[aklug] Re: Linux on a laptop

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Mon Nov 11 2013 - 23:42:46 AKST

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Greg Schmitz wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> I run Linux on some pretty old machines and with great success. Perhaps I'm
> "old school" but when I pay $1500 dollars, or more for something, I expect it
> to last for more than "7 or 8 years." Apple has been screwing its customer
> base for years (I still have a couple Quadras - remember those at almost 3
> grand each?) Apple's game is kinda obvious if you look at the time frames
> for their security updates for, oh say 10.4, - which got less than 2 years
> support. Spend your money as you wish, I've had it with Apple hardware.

:-) When I started my Power port of Nevaeh Linux I began with a G3 iMac.
Still have a G5 workstation here, now. That said, for all the bad things
about life in the Apple ecosystem, they've become mainstream enough that you
can get some smoking deals on ebay & craigslist.

Bought a 2008 Macbook aluminum unibody this year, in fact, for $300. I have
been *very* impressed with the durability and generally sweet industrial
design of the milled aluminum bodies. It's not a toughbook, but it's by far
the prettiest and toughest of any regular Intel-based laptop I've ever
owned. Key mappings take awhile to get used to, though.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die