[aklug] Re: Why Watching DVDs on Linux is Illegal in the USA

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Tue Oct 22 2013 - 21:29:58 AKDT

https://w2.eff.org/IP/Video/DVDCCA_case/

I have not been following challenges and issues (DRM) surrounding the
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) directly, but I do still believe
it is legal to make a backup copy for personal use (as opposed to sale
or distribution) and that the law also provides for trans-coding
(modifying the original form) in order preserve materials. I AM NOT A
LAWYER - THIS IS JUST MY OPINION. Some links that might be of use:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act
http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/amia-l.html [search on DMCA for example]
http://www.ala.org/advocacy/copyright/copyrightcases

There are a couple of other references that I have saved elsewhere.
I'll post them when I find them.

God Bless Walt Disney!

--greg