[aklug] Why Watching DVDs on Linux is Illegal in the USA

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Oct 22 2013 - 20:31:45 AKDT

(BTW, I stopped following the Google Gateway discussion after about
three e-mails. Hope I haven't missed much!)

I just want to throw this out there:

http://www.howtogeek.com/138969/

Probably people on this list know this, but I suspect most Gnu/Linux
users aren't aware that using libdvdcss is illegal under the DMCA, and
thus it is impossible to watch (encrypted) DVDs on Linux using
completely free software. Debian doesn't provide it anymore now that
they stopped supporting a multimedia repository. (Was it ever officially
supported? I've been away for a while...)

It's interesting... personally, I don't watch DVDs and, quite frankly,
I'd rather eat spinach than give another dollar to any of those godless,
progressive millionaires in Hollywood. But the DVD issue is make or
break for some people. Was telling someone about Linux the other day...
he was completely sold on the idea and was ready to wipe his Windows
drive as soon as he could grab a Debian ISO. Then I mentioned the DVD
issue and he dropped the whole thing.

Now, though, there seem to be some commercial, licensed players for
Linux. I was thinking about endorsing one, so I would have something to
recommend to people who are interested in Linux. But I'm not quite sure
which to recommend - as I haven't used any of them and wasn't planning
on doing so any time soon. I don't want to recommend libdvdcss because I
am a Christian, and we are supposed to obey the law, at least, as far as
we can do so without violating our consciences.

Just more food for thought - or flaming, I guess.