[aklug] OFFTOPIC: Re: Re: ACS Google Gateway

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Fri Oct 18 2013 - 23:50:33 AKDT

On 10/17/2013 10:51 AM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> .. Okay, one more point -- this one's the last, I promise -- before I
> sign
> off: when has the government done *anything* that worked as designed and
> didn't include massive waste and fraud? When? The closest you could
> possibly come to that, from my perspective, is the military. A
> collective
> of good and true patriots getting the job done... but supported by a
> bureacratic and corrupted logistical system. Rife with inflated costs
> due
> to crony capitalism and blatant conflicts of interest. When I served I
> never knew I was plunking my ass down on a $600 toilet seat. One would
> think that they should have been more comfortable.
>
> If you're going to ask the government to do anything for you, you deserve
> what you get. You'll pay a premium for subpar results. Welcome to
> the real
> world. Do you really want to encourage that?!
>
> Governments don't solve problems. People, *communities* of people
> directly
> and personally involved work far better.
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

Arthur,

I thought you were a better of student of history and not one to drink
to much political kool-aide(R). Looking back at the history of our
government (us) esp. with regard to our Federal Govt. much good has
come from government, at least before R. Raygun (and Westinghouse),
Ailes and crew shuffled the deck; corporate control fucked things up.
Really I thought you were a deeper thinker than what your comment
reflects? Perhaps you've forgotten about the Office of Technology
Assessment (one of the first Federal Agencies Raygun deep sixed) or the
Government Printing Office (did you ever fill in the check boxes for
"free" info about how government works printed by GPO?). FWIW, the GPO
secured the position of US printers for at least 3 decades. If you do a
little research you will find out that the GPO, in order to be more
efficient, realized that paper conditioning was key to printing and GPO
employees invented tools - like the first meter to read the humidity
level of paper rolls (word has it that this was done by GPO folks on
their own nickle.) Back off Arthur and get with the program. Fuck
computers - there is a big heap on the technological pile.