[aklug] Re: ACS Google Gateway

From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Fri Oct 18 2013 - 23:01:43 AKDT

As far as proxy cache systems go, they had their day but that was long
ago. For the small business or organization on the end of a slow or
high-latency link they can still be useful, but not at the provider levels.

I don't know of any ISPs of any size still supporting proxy cache
system, optional or forced...If nothing else, scaling them to a multiple
of 10Gbit throughput is just too expensive to make them worthwhile.

DenaliCS ran a opt-in proxy cache back in the day, but ACS never has.

Security on the internet...It is a public network, always assume you are
shouting in a public place and take approp measures.

Far as the operation of CDN boxes (Content Engines, Caching Engines,
whatever), they are not proxy cache systems, not that I have ever seen.

All of the CDN systems I have ever seen, at current employer and before
are for all practical purposes... _Co-located servers_... Take ahalf
rack to a full rack of high perf servers, install in data center and
give them a large internet connection no different than a std commercial
connection...Thats it.

All of the "magic" is in the content providers systems, how they decide
what content to load on each system, how they send users to the
closed/best one, etc.

G for example... They make all sorts of internal choices about what
services and content live on what server. They happen to have tens of
thousands of servers located in G data centers in batches running into
the hundreds... They also happen to have them in groups of 16 or so
scattered around...a bit closer to the customer.

Same thing with the others.

End of the day, each is just a set of server systems on a private subnet
and a fat pipe... The CDN gets to special access or visability of the
providers traffic and the provider gets no special access to the CDN
networks operations or info.