[aklug] Re: Drupal - first steps - rants - raves

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Sun Nov 04 2012 - 07:21:29 AKST

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [121104 07:00]:
> On 11/03/2012 02:58 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> Seventeen years in Web development? So, how did you manage to hold on to
> your sanity? Do you have a designated object that you beat your head
> against each day, or do you just pick one at random?

  One good stress reducer was to run up and down igneous intrusions
  (until I screwed up my knees). Bodenburg Butte is an igneous
  intrusion - I love that word, there should be place in tech speak
  for it.

  Seriously, you can work a lot of code in your head when out
  hiking. Einstein did some of his best theorizing when he was
  hiking in the Alps, so I have read.

> Seventeen years... so you would have entered the fray during the thick
> of the Netscape vs. Explorer wars, yes? Must have been fun. (*shudder*)

  Was pretty basic. CGI was compiled C or C++ executables linked
  statically with .cgi extensions. Speed bottlenecks were handled by
  dropping webpages into data sectors of assembler code and
  assembled/linked into 32-bit (state of the art then) command
  files.

  Them wuz the good 'ol days. And like my Dad who was born in a sod
  house used to say "Piss on the good 'ol days".

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com