[aklug] Re: tip for learning a new language

From: Farrin Reid <blakmatrix@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Nov 04 2012 - 02:21:14 AKST

My tip for learning a new language is simply by making something in the
langage, copying basic UNIX tools is a noble start, but ultimately the best
is by doing something that utilizes most of a language. my suggestion in an
academic setting, is to choose the task for the student, make it difficult
and see how far they take it. bonus props if it is
something immediately useful. like maybe a craigslist scraper, or in this
day and age some kind of visualization of realtime data.

However, after a few languages under your belt, I for one, first look over
all the syntax/keywords then try and figure out how it is different vs. the
other languages I know.

Farrin A. Reid