[aklug] Re: PowerShell

From: Jim MacDonald <jim@macdonald.org>
Date: Tue Oct 09 2012 - 21:09:57 AKDT

Sorry for the one liners all day, I wasn't in a place where I could properly respond but I'd like to take a moment to do just that, From my perspective as a professional Unix admin I'd like to point out that MS got it's start by purchasing a stripped version of an OS. Stripped in such a way that they took a basic UNIX like OS and stripped all the networking capability out of it to make a PC OS.

They then proceeded to make Billions spending then next 30 years adding all that same functionality back into it. It's nice to finally see them have a similar functionality that UNIX has had all along. I'm sorry that Windows users have funded the development of something that has existed for decades. That being said… Just because a function exists doesn't mean it's going to get used extensively… I have seen windows admins click on 30 windows to add something to the registry when they could have done the same thing with one sentence in the commandline.

Just my two cents..

Jim
On Oct 9, 2012, at 5:13 PM, Jim MacDonald <jim@macdonald.org> wrote:

> And the best part of THIS email is.....
>
> Sent from my iPad ...
>
> On Oct 9, 2012, at 14:32, Damien Hull <dhull@section9.us> wrote:
>
>> Yes, GUI tools send commands to powershell in 2012. Everything is done
>> in powershell. Windows administrators have two choices. Learn
>> powershell or move over for someone who will.
>>
>> I have a powershell book on order.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Oct 9, 2012, at 2:02 PM, Erinn Looney-Triggs
>> <erinn.looneytriggs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> One of the nicer things in Windows 2012 is that GUI work gets converted
>>> into powershell syntax. So say configuring up the RADIUS server in
>>> server 2012 via the GUI will give you a listing at the end of the
>>> powershell command necessary to do the same job.
>>>
>>> It is a crutch of course, but when I first got into Linux I found it
>>> much easier to use the GUI tools and then figure out what they did
>>> underneath. Actually I still do that, I didn't know the details behind
>>> what system-config-date (Fedora) did until just recently, had no idea
>>> about /etc/adjtime and hwclock.
>>>
>>> It creates an easier learning curve.
>>>
>>> -Erinn
>> ---------