[aklug] Re: PowerShell

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 10:02:35 AKDT

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012, Jim MacDonald wrote:

> Sorry for the one liners all day, I wasn't in a place where I could properly respond but I'd like to take a moment to do just that, From my perspective as a professional Unix admin I'd like to point out that MS got it's start by purchasing a stripped version of an OS. Stripped in such a way that they took a basic UNIX like OS and stripped all the networking capability out of it to make a PC OS.
>
> They then proceeded to make Billions spending then next 30 years adding all that same functionality back into it. It's nice to finally see them have a similar functionality that UNIX has had all along. I'm sorry that Windows users have funded the development of something that has existed for decades. That being said? Just because a function exists doesn't mean it's going to get used extensively? I have seen windows admins click on 30 windows to add something to the registry when they could have done the same thing with one sentence in the commandline.

? You're referring to Xenix? Which they sold to SCO? Then hired VMS guys
to develop NT after falling out w/IBM over OS/2?

In short, my recollection is that MS never acquired and stripped any UNIX
OS. They had Xenix, and they sold it seven years later. A historical
oddity for the company that has no place in their family tree of OS's.

I agree, they're late to the party, but not because they monetized the
features over time. If there's one thing MS is good at, it's *not* learning
from other examples in the industry. They had to learn the CLI lesson the
hard way because of arrogance and hubris.

As for their administrators... poor bastards. They don't know any better,
and they've got Stockholm Syndrome.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die