[aklug] Re: PowerShell

From: <dedge@alaska.net>
Date: Tue Oct 09 2012 - 22:36:09 AKDT

I admin various flavors of unix and windows servers, and powershell is a definite
plus. Checking log files or processes on remote servers is so much easier from a
command line. A decent grep command would be nice though.

David

> Sorry for the one liners all day, I wasn't in a place where I could properly
respond but I'd like to take a moment to do just that, From my perspective as a
professional Unix admin I'd like to point out that MS got it's start by
purchasing
> a stripped version of an OS. Stripped in such a way that they took a basic UNIX
like OS and stripped all the networking capability out of it to make a PC OS.

> They then proceeded to make Billions spending then next 30 years adding all that
same functionality back into it. It's nice to finally see them have a similar
functionality that UNIX has had all along. I'm sorry that Windows users have
funded
> the development of something that has existed for decades. That being said… Just
because a function exists doesn't mean it's going to get used extensively… I have
seen windows admins click on 30 windows to add something to the registry when
they
> could have done the same thing with one sentence in the commandline.
>
> Just my two cents..
>
> Jim
> On Oct 9, 2012, at 5:13 PM, Jim MacDonald <jim@macdonald.org> wrote:
>
>> And the best part of THIS email is.....
>> Sent from my iPad ...
>> On Oct 9, 2012, at 14:32, Damien Hull <dhull@section9.us> wrote:
>>> Yes, GUI tools send commands to powershell in 2012. Everything is done in
powershell. Windows administrators have two choices. Learn
>>> powershell or move over for someone who will.
>>> I have a powershell book on order.
>>> Sent from my iPad
powershell syntax. So say configuring up the RADIUS server in server 2012 via
the GUI will give you a listing at the end of the powershell command necessary
to do the same job.
easier to use the GUI tools and then figure out what they did underneath.
Actually I still do that, I didn't know the details behind what
system-config-date (Fedora) did until just recently, had no idea about
/etc/adjtime and hwclock.