[aklug] "Cloud" instances (yet again)

From: techno curmudgeon <technocurmudgeon@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2011 - 21:34:32 AKST

Well, it looks like for the next 3 weeks or so I'm going to be down in
the wonderous, glorious, edgy, urbane, and avant garde state of texas.
 Where I'm going, high entertainment is driving into "town" to go to
the Super Walmart.

Wonderful. Can. Hardly. Wait.

Usually it's off-net down there (historically only access is by modem.
 Which tops out at 21K. On a good sunny day. And no, I'm not
exaggerating), but maybe it's changed. Heck, if the euros can try to
find the Higgs Boson in Geneva, Switzerland, then I can try to find a
3G signal in bumscrew texas. Right?

Anyway, if I can tether my android there, it dawns on me this would be
a good time to familiarize myself with so-called cloud computing (I've
been reading up on opennebula and openstack. These look like Really
Cool Toys, which has gotten me interested in the more general topic).

So there's AWS, looks like google has something, as well as the usual
suspects like Rackspace etc.

Has anyone actually used these services? What's a good, cheap one for
just playing around purposes? I'm looking for short term (no more
than a month) and inexpensive. I'll probably be just playing and
learning what the capabilities of the technology are, so cheap is
good. Or if anyone has a strong opinion on a particular service one
way or another, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Of course, it's all dependent on whether I can get a good enough
signal to get to the net while I'm down there. If not, then oh well.

Thanks!