[aklug] OpenPGP signatures on the mailing list

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2011 - 17:47:35 AKST

I was wondering if it might not be possible for the AKLUG list to
integrate OpenPGP signatures better?
I happened to notice that this is possible (in at least one
implementation) by observing signed e-mails from the courier-users
mailing list. How they go about it is to create a multipart/mixed e-mail
with three parts, utilizing nesting.

I. multipart/signed
   i. text/plain (my original message)
   ii. application/pgp-signature, attachment disposition (my signature)
II. text/plain, inline-disposition (some advertisments)
III. text/plain, inline-disposition (the list signature)

Thunderbird (Enigmail) at least, has no trouble processing the e-mail
and verifying the signature when the e-mail is received in this sort of
format. I think this is a cleaner way to go about it, rather than
copying the signature attachment into the mail (with comments) or
forcing the sender to use inline PGP.

I'm sure, of course, that it is more difficult to implement this sort of
thing than to ask for it, but if it might be considered as a
possibility, that would be appreciated. I could send an example e-mail
file from courier-users if that would help. It is a sourceforge mailing
list, and I believe they are using exim.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us