[aklug] Re: Firefox version

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2011 - 16:19:38 AKST

On Monday 12 December 2011 20:52:56 barsalou wrote:
> Recently I went to a website that said that my version of Firefox
> (3.5) was too old and that 4.0 would be sufficient.
>
> Imagine my surprise when I went to download the latest version of
> Firefox and found that it is version 8!
>
> It's official, I've been living under a rock! :)
>
> The interesting thing is that apt-cache only shows the latest version of
> 3.5.
>
> Anyone using version 8?
>
> What the heck has happened in 5 versions and what the heck is Ubuntu doing?

I am under the same rock, Debian stable is using v3.5, which is what I use for
business stuff. I have not had the 'to old' warning, at least not from my
computer :-)

 I do use Firefox nightlies from the Mozilla dev site, run as a different user. it
is on v11.x. This has been as stable as any other software I run.

Debian tracks more current releases on a separate source.list entry:
'deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ squeeze-backports iceweasel-release'
Currently it is v8, which I use in my VM installs.

--
Peace,
Greg