[aklug] Trolling for tips: mac/virtualbox/ubuntu/macports

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Wed Oct 05 2011 - 14:29:51 AKDT

As a following up to Xcode ... nightmare ... etc...
I have Xcode and macports installed now.

I've got a 2011 mac mini with 8 Gb of RAM. I'm new to mac, am a
long-time (..96) linux, ubuntu(..07) user. Mac users on this ML have
spoken well of using virtualbox. I'm going to go ahead and install
ubuntu 10.04 (LTS) also known stupidly as 'Lucid Lynxi'. I'm currently
using that on my PC.

I would welcome any pointers, recommendations, and caveats that
anyone might have prior to install thru virtualbox.
General questions I might have would be:
1)Can I expect to have a LAMP setup run in virtualbox/ubuntu as it
would on my PC? I.E. python/mysql/apache ...etc.
2)Can I expect to have my mail system of preference:
fetchmail/procmail/mutt/postfix to work the same?
3)Any DNS issues?
4)Should alternative desktops such as fluxbox (my preference) work?
etc ... etc...

In addition, I have used macports to install midnight commander. I
can't live without my `mc'. I'm not happy with what I'm seeing. mc
on mac as it is now does not recognize the mouse and the available
fonts pretty much suck.

Any comments?
thanks

--