[aklug] Re: Trolling for tips: mac/virtualbox/ubuntu/macports

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Wed Oct 05 2011 - 20:44:28 AKDT

On Wednesday 05 October 2011 02:29:51 pm Tim Johnson wrote:
> As a following up to Xcode ... nightmare ... etc...
> I have Xcode and macports installed now.
>
> I've got a 2011 mac mini with 8 Gb of RAM. I'm new to mac, am a
> long-time (..96) linux, ubuntu(..07) user. Mac users on this ML have
> spoken well of using virtualbox. I'm going to go ahead and install
> ubuntu 10.04 (LTS) also known stupidly as 'Lucid Lynxi'. I'm currently
> using that on my PC.
>
> I would welcome any pointers, recommendations, and caveats that
> anyone might have prior to install thru virtualbox.
> General questions I might have would be:
> 1)Can I expect to have a LAMP setup run in virtualbox/ubuntu as it
> would on my PC? I.E. python/mysql/apache ...etc.
> 2)Can I expect to have my mail system of preference:
> fetchmail/procmail/mutt/postfix to work the same?
> 3)Any DNS issues?
> 4)Should alternative desktops such as fluxbox (my preference) work?
> etc ... etc...
>
> In addition, I have used macports to install midnight commander. I
> can't live without my `mc'. I'm not happy with what I'm seeing. mc
> on mac as it is now does not recognize the mouse and the available
> fonts pretty much suck.
>
> Any comments?
> thanks

I run VB on a Linux host with a mix of guests. My work is desktop oriented, I do
run apache, nfs & samba on a small local network. Everything I run works great
and VB is sooooo easy to setup & use.

Not sure what hardware is involved, hardware acceleration in the cpu is key, but
maybe all modern cpu's offer this?

Some Linux folks reccommend KVM or similar for servers, closer to the hardware? I
can't speak to potential performance differences.

As long as you use bridged networking the box appears as another box on the
network. No shared folders here.

--
Peace,
Greg