[aklug] Re: IPv6: was: Re: Re: Stupid PBL

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Wed Oct 05 2011 - 14:36:49 AKDT

Christopher Howard ecrits:
> One thing that has never been quite clear to me: if the U.S.=20
> does ever switch over to IPv6 (on the whole) what will that
> look like? I mean, what kind of infrastructure/administrative
> changes still have to be made? Would some organization set a
> "IPv6" D-Day or something?

Nobody, and I mean nobody, will just "switch" to IPv6.

IPv4 depletion, however, is a serious thing because the
conversion to IPv6 has taken too long. When you consider
that IPv6 as an IP technology has been around for over 15 years
and it's never gotten out of the lab except within the last 5?

But to come back to your question, it will be a slow ramp-up,
utilizing dual-stack support. Once a solid majority of customer
and commercial users are IPv6 capable, you will start seeing
IPv4 shutdowns - because it will become financially beneficial
to folks to get rid of IPv4 and sell it upstream.

It will probably be at least 12 months before the consumer
entrance into IPv6 -- we are only just this year starting to
see test roll-outs in the marketspace. These test rollouts
are helpful in discovering many of the issues involved in
end-user assignment and usage of IPv6.

You -can- use IPv6 today, via tunnelbrokers (he.net, sixxs.net)
which several people I know are doing -myself included- and have
been doing for a few years now.