[aklug] Re: Natty Issues

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Mon May 02 2011 - 16:14:07 AKDT

<G> I was trying really hard not to get involved in this, too....

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:

> Possibly, but according to Distro Watch:

I have to point out the obvious: the "ranking" is purely based on page hits
on *their* site. I have to seriously question how relevant and accurate
such an arbitrary metric is. I never use the site, never had a use for it.
Who here actually when to distrowatch first before choosing a distro to
sample Linux? How many people instead a) went to a search engine, or b)
used what their buddy recommended?

In short, I think the distrowatch metric is not only worthless, but it most
likely fails to capture the vast majority of veteran Linux users out there.
Particularly those who go straight to their distro's site or mailing list
to get updates. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

> I could probably know what someone was talking about *most* of the time
> if someone mentioned a release name from that list. I work daily in
> Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, and RHEL, so that may contribute to it. But if
> you've been in the Linux world for 10+ years (and most people here have
> way more than that), you probably keep up with names and releases, even
> if you don't use them (e.g. I don't have any Fedora boxes).

:-) Unless you've decided to get off the goat-rope carousel and run your
own distro...

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die