[aklug] Re: Natty Issues

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Mon May 02 2011 - 20:21:43 AKDT

On Monday 02 May 2011, Arthur Corliss elucidated thus:
> I have to point out the obvious: the "ranking" is purely based on
> page hits on *their* site. I have to seriously question how relevant
> and accurate such an arbitrary metric is. I never use the site,
> never had a use for it. Who here actually when to distrowatch first
> before choosing a distro to sample Linux? How many people instead a)
> went to a search engine, or b) used what their buddy recommended?
>
> In short, I think the distrowatch metric is not only worthless, but
> it most likely fails to capture the vast majority of veteran Linux
> users out there. Particularly those who go straight to their distro's
> site or mailing list to get updates. I could be wrong, but I doubt
> it.

OK, would this work?

http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu%2C+fedora%2C+centos%2C+rhel%2C+suse&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

:) Even more disparity than the Distro Watch links.

But you're right, it doesn't paint a 100% accurate picture. Nothing
does.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK