[aklug] Re: Natty Issues

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Mon May 02 2011 - 15:57:37 AKDT

On Monday 02 May 2011, Bruce Hill elucidated thus:
> Seriously, it's pretty arrogant when someone refers to their distro's
> release name and expect you to know what they're talking about. And
> how many Linux distros are there now? And how many different release
> names would that make?

Possibly, but according to Distro Watch:

I could probably know what someone was talking about *most* of the time
if someone mentioned a release name from that list. I work daily in
Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, and RHEL, so that may contribute to it. But if
you've been in the Linux world for 10+ years (and most people here have
way more than that), you probably keep up with names and releases, even
if you don't use them (e.g. I don't have any Fedora boxes).

> Anyway, perhaps someone will fix borken Ubuntu ... and when he fixes
> his problem or updates a package Ubuntu will do like Windoze ...
> REBOOT!

Only time Ubuntu's updater asks for a reboot is when a kernel gets
swapped out. Maybe when you upgrade libc...don't remember on that.
Don't remember the message when you upgrade X.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A