[aklug] Re: Natty Issues

From: Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Mon May 02 2011 - 16:28:47 AKDT

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 03:44:46PM -0800, Tim Johnson wrote:
> It's gotten so that many *expect* linux and ubuntu to be the same
> thing. At one time I was trying to do an install in slackware and
> someone on a forum told me to use something "modern" like ubuntu.
> My reply was frosty to say the least, given that I previously had found
> ubuntu's build tools to be behind the curve at least with respect
> to slack.
> > And how many different release names
> > would that make? And correct me if it's wrong, but he probably has no clue
> > what "Flesh-Eating Bats with Fangs" refers to, either. And if one can't
> > find where that name comes from (file), they should start with Linux 101.
> >
> > There was a time when n00bs posted "I can't get online with 9.0" and they
> > would get flamed...
> >
> > Anyway, perhaps someone will fix borken Ubuntu ... and when he fixes his
> > problem or updates a package Ubuntu will do like Windoze ... REBOOT!
> What do you use?
> --
> Tim

From 2003 to just recently I've used Slackware. However, the quality of
the distro has suffered in recent years, and I'm tired of fixing it to
use it. (I'm not just a taker and no giver, you can find my name in
ChangeLogs, though most patches/fixes I've just sent to Eric Hameleers).

Now I'm using Gentoo.

Before we left China I did give Ubuntu a whirl to have something to
install for new customer's desktop machines. It lacked more to be desired
than time permits me to waste saying.

Bruce

--
May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering!
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the