[aklug] Re: Natty Issues

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Mon May 02 2011 - 15:44:46 AKDT

* Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com> [110502 15:37]:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 03:11:40PM -0800, Jim Gribbin wrote:
> > Good, I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one you had no idea what he was
> > talking about :-)
> >
> > Recently, I sometimes feel like I'm in the Ubuntu user's group.
> >
> > Jim G
>
> Seriously, it's pretty arrogant when someone refers to their distro's
> release name and expect you to know what they're talking about. And how
> many Linux distros are there now?
  It's gotten so that many *expect* linux and ubuntu to be the same
  thing. At one time I was trying to do an install in slackware and
  someone on a forum told me to use something "modern" like ubuntu.
  My reply was frosty to say the least, given that I previously had found
  ubuntu's build tools to be behind the curve at least with respect
  to slack.
> And how many different release names
> would that make? And correct me if it's wrong, but he probably has no clue
> what "Flesh-Eating Bats with Fangs" refers to, either. And if one can't
> find where that name comes from (file), they should start with Linux 101.
>
> There was a time when n00bs posted "I can't get online with 9.0" and they
> would get flamed...
>
> Anyway, perhaps someone will fix borken Ubuntu ... and when he fixes his
> problem or updates a package Ubuntu will do like Windoze ... REBOOT!
  What do you use?

--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com