[aklug] Local e-mail accounts for an emergency?

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Sun Feb 20 2011 - 16:13:36 AKST

Has the aklug ever talked about having their own local e-mail server
with accounts for regular aklug members?

Reason I ask: One of the more likely "emergencies" around here, living
in Alaska, is that our Internet communications with the rest of the
world get cut off (lines get cut). I seem to recall that happening once
years ago. Being a LUG, it would seem ideal that we would be better
prepared for that sort of thing. We should have a set-up so that, when
it happened, we could be e-mailing back and forth with each other about
the situation when most other people are still trying to figure out what
is going on.

But as it stands, most of us on the list are using gmail, yahoo mail,
and so forth, and would be cut off from the rest of the the AKLUG when
out-of-state communications go down. Possible remedies are:

1. We all each own and operate our own local e-mail servers.
2. All the regular users of the AKLUG have an e-mail account on one
local server.

The second option seems more realistic. But before going into issues of
implementation and whatnot, what are the feelings of the rest of you all
about an idea like that?

--
frigidcode.com
theologa.indicium.us