[aklug] Re: Local e-mail accounts for an emergency?

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Feb 21 2011 - 17:34:30 AKST

I have though about this as well in the past, but never voiced it that I
can recall.

Ditto on Mike B's concerns. I don't know the ramification of those
either, but doing what I'm doing at the moment I have become very aware
of risk management.

I don't know that the idea of having it available for backup in case the
fiber gets cut is practical. Alaska, especially in relation to
communications, is very dependent on services being sourced from the
lower 48.

We still don't have, that I'm aware of, local peering. What If I'm on
Clearwire and you're on GCI? Or ACS, or, or, or ...

I think that we would likely need the communications infrastructure of
an independent country to make this a viable option. I am not against
the idea.

What we do is... Secede from the Union. Declare war. Fire one shot.
Surrender. Then we sit back and let the Fed's build us infrastructure
like they did in Germany & Japan after WWll. We used to talk like this a
lot back in the 70s :-)

Jim G