[aklug] Re: curses based calender app

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Sun Feb 20 2011 - 10:50:50 AKST

* Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com> [110220 09:59]:
> You know-I haven't even scratched the surface in regards to usenets and
> mail feeds and this may just have to be my oyster for that. The terminal
> apps that I've been getting intimate with lately are Alpine for my email
> (imap gmail,) Nano for text/editing (it apparently comes with CrunchBang 10
> by default aaaand Alpine,) Centerim for chat-I tried to get irssi up and
> running with Google chat but after headbutting the keyboard several times I
> found centerim has support for jabber and by default Google talk. So that
> covers text, email, and chat. The next alligator I want to wrestle is
> mencoder (for archival purposes-dvdrip does well but mencoder is so tied
> with mplayer and vice versa it seems logical) but not until I fester a
> little with these apps.
> BTW in calcurse-use the "q" command to quit as it saves any work
> automagically then hit enter. By accident I bjorked that and had to go to
> the .calcurse folder in my home and delete .calcurse.pid to erase that
> instance or I couldn't start a new session. Whoops. :)

  I use MC as my default "file manager" - in most cases. I set vim
  as the system editor and uncheck 'Use Internal Editor' and 'Use
  Internal Viewer' in the MC configuration, which then binds vim to
  MC as editor.

  Vim is an acquired taste but for those of us who have acquired
  that taste, we find it breathtakingly agile.

  BTW: vim should not be confused with the original `vi', although
  vim is based on vi, but is highly extensible. I'm not a purist, I
  use a highly customized (g)vim as my IDE.

  'vi' is a symlink to vim in all of the linux distros that I have
  used. I've worked on some sun systems that use something like the
  original vim.

  I also bind vim to mutt and slrn. Mutt also works with pine, I
  believe.

  BTW1: Emacs can be run in console flavor. Just wanted to mention
  that so that I could get Arthur's indignant meter running. :)

  cheers

--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web.com or akwebsoft.com