[aklug] Re: curses based calender app

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Sun Feb 20 2011 - 22:52:14 AKST

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011, Tim Johnson wrote:

> I use MC as my default "file manager" - in most cases. I set vim
> as the system editor and uncheck 'Use Internal Editor' and 'Use
> Internal Viewer' in the MC configuration, which then binds vim to
> MC as editor.

;-) I use bash as my file manager.

> Vim is an acquired taste but for those of us who have acquired
> that taste, we find it breathtakingly agile.
>
> BTW: vim should not be confused with the original `vi', although
> vim is based on vi, but is highly extensible. I'm not a purist, I
> use a highly customized (g)vim as my IDE.

+1000

> 'vi' is a symlink to vim in all of the linux distros that I have
> used. I've worked on some sun systems that use something like the
> original vim.

I actually use elvis as vi on my system, primarily to keep a useable editor
around with minimal dependencies in the event that disaster recovery means
only a working /, but /usr isn't mounted (or mountable). In those
situations I really don't care about vim's extra features. But I do love
them on a non-disaster basis.

I expect Tim will now mock me for not using sed for disaster edits. ;-P

> I also bind vim to mutt and slrn. Mutt also works with pine, I
> believe.
>
> BTW1: Emacs can be run in console flavor. Just wanted to mention
> that so that I could get Arthur's indignant meter running. :)

Who, me? Indignant? Emacs is a wonderful OS, all it lacks is a good
editor. :-)

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die