[aklug] Re: Upgrading DDR2 RAM

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Sun Jan 09 2011 - 23:26:36 AKST

On 01/09/11 17:52, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Christopher Howard wrote:
>
>> Can I do that? Does having a motherboard with DDR2 RAM in it mean you
>> can take any DDR2 RAM?
> No. Your motherboard will determine what specific DDR2 you can support.
> The most pertinent specifications are the number of ranks and the module
> data width.
>
> And even then, some of us (read: me) have bastardized chinese boards that
> make stupid demands like, say, supporting 2GB DIMMs, but only *one* in a two
> slot board, so the max supported RAM is 3GB. <grumble> For those of you
> buying motherboards, read *all* the small print in the manual before
> purchasing...
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

(Amazingly enough) I found an online manual for my motherboard. It is a
FOXCONN LS-36. Specs say it takes 400-MHz DDR SDRAM, fours connectors,
with slots for either 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB non-ECC. Minimum
memory 256 MB, maximum 4 GB.

Whew... glad I didn't buy that 8 GB set. 4 GB isn't quite as much as I
hoped, but I should be able to get the most performance-intensive
sections of the OS moved over to RAM space. So far I've done all the
binaries. If I can get the /usr/share stuff and the /home directories
moved over that should make a pretty big practical difference.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us