[aklug] Re: Upgrading DDR2 RAM

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Sun Jan 09 2011 - 17:52:28 AKST

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Can I do that? Does having a motherboard with DDR2 RAM in it mean you
> can take any DDR2 RAM?

No. Your motherboard will determine what specific DDR2 you can support.
The most pertinent specifications are the number of ranks and the module
data width.

And even then, some of us (read: me) have bastardized chinese boards that
make stupid demands like, say, supporting 2GB DIMMs, but only *one* in a two
slot board, so the max supported RAM is 3GB. <grumble> For those of you
buying motherboards, read *all* the small print in the manual before
purchasing...

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die