[aklug] Re: Upgrading DDR2 RAM

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Sun Jan 09 2011 - 23:59:52 AKST

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Whew... glad I didn't buy that 8 GB set. 4 GB isn't quite as much as I
> hoped, but I should be able to get the most performance-intensive
> sections of the OS moved over to RAM space. So far I've done all the
> binaries. If I can get the /usr/share stuff and the /home directories
> moved over that should make a pretty big practical difference.

I'd love to see some benchmarks comparing the two. While being able to lock
binaries and libraries into RAM should be effective, one would think there'd
be some diminishing returns. The whole point of filesystem caching (which
Linux does aggressively by default) is meant to effectively do that already,
at least for frequently used files.

I may have to run some tests myself in vmware...

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die