[aklug] Re: does job run after logout

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Mon Nov 01 2010 - 13:45:20 AKDT

Here's a fun trick all you kids might enjoy.

Screen is by default a blocking buffer. It does it's best to make sure all information is
sent to the remote terminal emulator as the console presents it and tells the terminal to
hold it's horses until the remote side is ready for more. This can often mean you spend
far too much time receiving megs/gigs of data when you goof up an expression or
accidentally select select a few million sql rows that sends data screaming into your
terminal. Wonderful stuff over DSL.

Getting into the habit of not doing that is good. Getting into the habit of running
screen before hand is better :) Make sure your screen rc includes 'defnonblock 0' or you
enter the 'nonblock 0' command directly into a running screen. The 0 is adjustable,
meaning if for any reason screen cannot flush it's buffer then stop attempting to update
the remote terminal to the virtual screen.

This helps out dramatically when dealing with non-paged data sets or accidentally typing
"cat /var/log/syslog" and lining up a billion CTRL-C or having to kill the terminal just
to reclaim your sanity.

- Shane