[aklug] Re: does job run after logout

From: R Denison <gaijin@gci.net>
Date: Wed Nov 03 2010 - 00:15:02 AKDT

On 11/01/2010 01:45 PM, Shane R. Spencer wrote:
> Here's a fun trick all you kids might enjoy.
>
> Screen is by default a blocking buffer. It does it's best to make sure all information is
> sent to the remote terminal emulator as the console presents it and tells the terminal to
> hold it's horses until the remote side is ready for more. This can often mean you spend
> far too much time receiving megs/gigs of data when you goof up an expression or
> accidentally select select a few million sql rows that sends data screaming into your
> terminal. Wonderful stuff over DSL.
>
> Getting into the habit of not doing that is good. Getting into the habit of running
> screen before hand is better :) Make sure your screen rc includes 'defnonblock 0' or you
> enter the 'nonblock 0' command directly into a running screen. The 0 is adjustable,
> meaning if for any reason screen cannot flush it's buffer then stop attempting to update
> the remote terminal to the virtual screen.
>
> This helps out dramatically when dealing with non-paged data sets or accidentally typing
> "cat /var/log/syslog" and lining up a billion CTRL-C or having to kill the terminal just
> to reclaim your sanity.
>
> - Shane

I do believe this man has just earned a $BEVERAGE, my having been kicked
in the wibly bits by this more than my fair share of times I don't think
"THANK YOU!!!!" is sufficient gratitude...

So maybe someone will find this useful:

I'm getting older, and have to remember close to 50(?) passwords for
work - some of the less used ones I "sort of" remember and have to guess
at, and today was no exception.

So I knew the pattern of the password (not reproduced here) and could
make reasonable guesses as to the individual characters, but didn't feel
like knocking out a bunch of for loops in a script to generate a list to
test with. Bash to the rescue!

echo {m,M}{y,Y,\\\/}w{o,0}{r,R}{d,D} produces a suitable list, like so:

myword myworD mywoRd mywoRD myw0rd myw0rD myw0Rd myw0RD mYword mYworD
mYwoRd mYwoRD mYw0rd mYw0rD mYw0Rd mYw0RD m\/word m\/worD m\/woRd
m\/woRD m\/w0rd m\/w0rD m\/w0Rd m\/w0RD Myword MyworD MywoRd MywoRD
Myw0rd Myw0rD Myw0Rd Myw0RD MYword MYworD MYwoRd MYwoRD MYw0rd MYw0rD
MYw0Rd MYw0RD M\/word M\/worD M\/woRd M\/woRD M\/w0rd M\/w0rD M\/w0Rd
M\/w0RD

Also useful for directory tree creation:

$ mkdir -p test/tmp/{etc{/foo,/bar},bin,var}
$ find test
test
test/tmp
test/tmp/var
test/tmp/etc
test/tmp/etc/foo
test/tmp/etc/bar
test/tmp/bin

or looking up multiple hosts in a domain:

$ dig +short @vans-1.gci.net {mail,smtp,www}.gci.net
v-msgmmp.gci.net.
209.165.130.30
v-msgmmp.gci.net.
209.165.130.30
209.165.131.24

Not something that will be useful daily, maybe, but definitely one of
those things to keep in the back of your head for that one-off task.

R.