[aklug] 32 vs 64 bit

From: James Tweet <jamestweet@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 16:16:42 AKDT

I just got a laptop that has a 64-bit processor. On it I put the 64 bit version
of Ubuntu and I want some info on peoples experiences.

Questions:
Are there any major differences between the 32 and 64 bit programs?
Are there any gotchas that I should look out for?
If I ran the 32-bit version of Ubuntu would it run slower, faster or the same?
If I run 32-bit software on the 64-bit OS will it effect performance?
Can I just recompile 32-bit code into 64-bit code?
Any other advice or observations?

Thanks
James