[aklug] Re: 32 vs 64 bit

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 16:41:03 AKDT

* James Tweet <jamestweet@yahoo.com> [101021 16:27]:
> I just got a laptop that has a 64-bit processor. On it I put the 64 bit version
> of Ubuntu and I want some info on peoples experiences.
>
> Questions:
> Are there any major differences between the 32 and 64 bit programs?
> Are there any gotchas that I should look out for?
> If I ran the 32-bit version of Ubuntu would it run slower, faster or the same?
> If I run 32-bit software on the 64-bit OS will it effect performance?
> Can I just recompile 32-bit code into 64-bit code?
> Any other advice or observations?
  I tried 64-bit ubuntu back in 2007. Had a lot of problems. I
  actually had to hack some binaries to use 32-bit shared objects.
  I would guess that, fast-forward 3 years, there would still be
  issues. For instance, does that 32-bit application that
  dynamically loads (at runtime) shared objects know to look for
  them in a lib32 path. Is there a lib32 path?

  Personally, if I were to try 64-bit at this time, I would use
  slackware and compile any stuff that I installed. As I recall,
  when I first started programming (1989) most PCs were 32-bit, but
  it took 'til linux started up 4 years later and M$ 6 years later
  for full-fledged 32-bit OSs. Can't remember when OS2 came out...
  And some smart guy is going to say something about Windows 95 so
  procede with my blessing .....

--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web.com or akwebsoft.com