[aklug] Re: GMAIL

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Tue Aug 10 2010 - 07:17:01 AKDT

On Monday, August 09, 2010, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> There have been other times I have not been able to get my mail due to
> "network issues", but these were network issues with the physical
> routing(?) between myself and Google. The biggest one being several
> occasions where my entire building was disconnected. These were all
> times I could not access anything on the Internet. I don't think I can
> blame Google for this.

If your business is dead in the water while the problem is being resolved,
does it matter if you blame Google or GCI or Comcast?

Cloud apps not being available means cloud apps are not available. I think
that was Tim's point -- if you have a problem, you're relying on someone else
to fix it. For Gmail, that's not so bad if you have a smart phone with a data
package. Just use your phone for e-mail and you're good to go. But if your
whole office is using a web based office suite, the situation changes a bit.

It's not a good/bad argument, it's an acceptable risk argument. I'm with Tim
-- I'd much rather have assets (and data) under my control than trust a rather
long network chain. Not to mention figuring out exactly who has access to
your proprietary data.