[aklug] Re: Last days of unlimited?

From: michael huff <mphuff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jun 21 2010 - 15:47:15 AKDT

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 7:47 AM, WH Bouterse <bill@bouterse.com> wrote:
> Returning to Alaska after 4 years away I find that while there are more
> online
> activities require greater bandwidth usage, there are in fact fewer
> and fewer monthly options for "non-capped-pay-once-and-forget".
> I had seen the nationwide reports for some time but happened to be an area
> where
> for the time being it was not an issue.
>
> Now MTA has even eliminated their residential uncapped service
> which used to offer a pricey but at least available 140$ a month plan.
>
> How do you high-bandwidth users and mirror offerers deal with this?

I'm curious how mirror offerers in Alaska deal too (since I've always
assumed that you don't mirror if all you have is a residential connection).

I'm not sure where everyone is at, but I subscribe to gci's "Ultimate
Package Plus" which includes their "Ultimate extreme" internet plan (details
here: http://www.gci.com/forhome/promos/xtreme/xtreme_asd7.htm ) which comes
with unlimited internet. It's expensive (~$140/mo total), but again -I'm not
aware of any alternatives in Alaska that would be cheaper (while providing
adequate broadband).

I had thought of asking the list's advice on alternatives to GCI but then
this thread was started before I got around to it.