[aklug] Last days of unlimited?

From: WH Bouterse <bill@bouterse.com>
Date: Mon Jun 21 2010 - 07:47:07 AKDT

Returning to Alaska after 4 years away I find that while there are more online
activities require greater bandwidth usage, there are in fact fewer
and fewer monthly options for "non-capped-pay-once-and-forget".
I had seen the nationwide reports for some time but happened to be an area where
for the time being it was not an issue.

Now MTA has even eliminated their residential uncapped service
which used to offer a pricey but at least available 140$ a month plan.

How do you high-bandwidth users and mirror offerers deal with this?

A recent case; a local family found their bill with MTA rose to $500 when they subscribed
to DTS and began watching HD movies and regular netflix-streaming.
This is a couple with 4 kids and home-schooling so the bandwidth is gonna get used.

It seems that folks are now getting hit with not only the media fees but the fees for usage of the media as well!?

Just curious as I find myself looking over my shoulder now with my 3mb 20gb cap

Is there anyone working for MTA on this list who could maybe respond off-list if necessary?

Working for free with various non-profits and trying to do some development work with various distros
and helping a private school in NC by working on a WINE implementation of Donor Perfect,
a M$ Fox Pro DataBase I feel somewhat irritated and constrained at the same time.

Maybe its just me and if so please excuse my ramblings. AKlug has always been a great resource
over the years and much appreciated.

BTW The familly mentioned is now leaving Alaska as they said it was the final straw when not only did
they get the unexpected bill but were told "this is Alaska if you don't like it go somewhere else".

Thanks again for your patience, I'll try not to ramble so much next time.

WH Bill Bouterse