[aklug] Re: Last days of unlimited?

From: Scott A. Johnson <scott.a.johnson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jun 22 2010 - 00:02:07 AKDT

I agree the bundled model of requiring cable to get an unlimited cable modem
is a pain. Why not just price out plans that are unlimited data transfer
without cable television? Frankly it is just a matter of time before GCI is
simply an ISP and the cable television customers switch to net TV.
BTW, I heard a rumor that GCI was going to do away with the unlimited data
transfer plans towards the end of summer. Anyone else heard anything to
confirm, or any GCI guys willing to confirm/deny this? ;)

Scott

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 15:47, michael huff <mphuff@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 7:47 AM, WH Bouterse <bill@bouterse.com> wrote:
> > Returning to Alaska after 4 years away I find that while there are more
> > online
> > activities require greater bandwidth usage, there are in fact fewer
> > and fewer monthly options for "non-capped-pay-once-and-forget".
> > I had seen the nationwide reports for some time but happened to be an
> area
> > where
> > for the time being it was not an issue.
> >
> > Now MTA has even eliminated their residential uncapped service
> > which used to offer a pricey but at least available 140$ a month plan.
> >
> > How do you high-bandwidth users and mirror offerers deal with this?
> >

> I'm curious how mirror offerers in Alaska deal too (since I've always
> assumed that you don't mirror if all you have is a residential connection).
>
> I'm not sure where everyone is at, but I subscribe to gci's "Ultimate
> Package Plus" which includes their "Ultimate extreme" internet plan
> (details
> here: http://www.gci.com/forhome/promos/xtreme/xtreme_asd7.htm ) which
> comes
> with unlimited internet. It's expensive (~$140/mo total), but again -I'm
> not
> aware of any alternatives in Alaska that would be cheaper (while providing
> adequate broadband).
>
> I had thought of asking the list's advice on alternatives to GCI but then
> this thread was started before I got around to it.

Scott A. Johnson
scott.a.johnson@gmail.com
http://scojo.us
mobile: +1.907.240.2483