[aklug] Re: Alaska peering

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 13:46:18 AKDT

Jim Gribbin writes:
> He also told me that when routed through GCI, GCI's switches
> give 1st priority to GCI's regular customers. Bulk customers
> (Clearwire) sit in the back of the bus. I don't know if the
> other carriers do this as well, but as I said, he mostly
> works for GCI so has more familiarity there.

Erm..

From somebody who works in the area of IP transport at GCI,
I'm gonna call rumor mill on this one.

Sounds like the friend is thinking that it's about QoS, but
applying the terms incorrectly.

customers are customers are customers and get the same priority
where QoS is implemented - but for the most part, that's only for
specific customers across specific links in order to guarantee their
internal markings aren't 'cleansed'..

The majority of everything is just 'traffic'.