[aklug] Re: Alaska peering

From: Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 13:53:54 AKDT

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 01:40:11PM -0800, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> And for the record: I *do* believe that Google is in fact evil in every
> aspect of the word, and I believe their support for this concept has
> absolutely nothing to do with neutrality as the common man interprets it,
> but as a way for them to use and abuse infrastructure that they don't have
> to pay for, manage, and keep paying customers happy on it.
>
> And, no, I didn't eat my wheaties this morning, so take it how you will...
> <grumble> I need more freaking caffiene.
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

May I jump in and comment ... though taking the thread OT more.

We live in China. Google's little political stunts don't fool anyone
there. The Great Chinese Firewall blocks YouTube incoming. We can tunnel
to a proxy in Virginia and bypass it easily enough. But then Google (owner
of YouTube) checks your packets (must have flash and java for YouTube) and
when they see the packets bound for China, they block it. So yes, Google,
just like MSN and Yahoo, are evil liars to the core. What else is new?
Just don't buy into their whining about China censorship.

So we've enjoyed some few YouTube's these past few months while visiting
in the States. Next week when we return to China, I can decide if they are
worth paying for a VPN service.

Bruce

--
May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering!
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the