[aklug] Re: Alaska peering

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2010 - 13:40:11 AKDT

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> This could help explain the disparity in connection speeds seen by
> myself & William, Christopher, and others. The access-point I'm
> connected to may be routed through someone giving out bandwidth on a 1st
> come/1st serve basis and they're connected through a GCI switch that has
> them sitting in the back of the bus. Did I hear someone say "net
> neutrality"?!?

This thread could take a tangent. While I understand and agree with the
concept of "Net Neutrality", every legal expression of it to date has been
utter rubbish. Net neutrality as documented in congress has no right to
exist because it fundamentally ignores the rights of carriers to manage
their bandwidth, including traffic shaping and throttling of bandwidth
abusers.

I'm not saying this wearing my hat as an employee of a carrier. I say it as
someone who understands how networks work. The American public needs to get
past the oxymoronic "unlimited bandwidth" labels applied to data plans and
understand that while natural law rules this universe it is actually
impossible for us to deliver "unlimited" bandwidth, and moreso impossible if
everyone tried to utilize that network at the same time. Whenever you're
dealing with shared networks you're operating under an oversubscription
model. That's life in the real world.

I'm not trying to flame anyone, but this issue directly impacts my life and
I have to deal with the unintended consequences brought on by every ignorant
moron in congress who fails to think things through. If you want to support
net neutrality then do so, but do so with intelligence. That means
well-defined support, and when the idiots fail to package it sensibly you
should oppose it vociferously.

And for the record: I *do* believe that Google is in fact evil in every
aspect of the word, and I believe their support for this concept has
absolutely nothing to do with neutrality as the common man interprets it,
but as a way for them to use and abuse infrastructure that they don't have
to pay for, manage, and keep paying customers happy on it.

And, no, I didn't eat my wheaties this morning, so take it how you will...
<grumble> I need more freaking caffiene.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die