[aklug] Re: AKLUG and others

From: <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 20:52:46 AKST

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 04:19:17PM -0900, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Marc Grober wrote:
> > Just yanking your chain, Josh  ;)
> >

> > On Mar 4, 2010, at 3:38 PM, "Joshua J. Kugler" <joshua@eeinternet.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Thursday 04 March 2010, Marc Grober elucidated thus:
> >> Marc: re-read that section.  I was listing the classes I've taken and
> >> the ways in which they helped me. :)  Context:
> >>
> >> "I've taken the full complement of CS classes to earn my BS, and
> >> almost
> >> my MS. There are classes I may never use again. But I'm glad I had
> >> CS... 321 (Operating systems; especially helps when running on "sane"
> >> systems such as Linux or Mac OS X)"
> >>
> >> I've run Linux and Max OS X, personally.  I've had no experience with
> >> any other Unix.  Nothing against them...just no motivation or
> >> opportunity at the moment.  I'd love to learn BSD, and probably
> >> Solaris, but I haven't gotten there yet.
> >>
> >> But you're right, that paragraph could be construed in a more general
> >> context, in which case, it should include other Unices.

> >> --
> >> Joshua Kugler
> >> Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
> >> http://www.eeinternet.com
> >> PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/%c2  ID 0x73B13B6A
> >> ---------
> >>
> > ---------
> >

> My twelve cents, as a UAF student and aspiring programmer: Nearly
> everything I've every learned about programming was learned /outside/ of
> class. Everything they have tried to teach me about programming per se,
> I either already knew, or could have learned in twenty minutes through
> online tutorials.
>
> The CS program would be a complete waste of time and money for me
> except, as Josh mentioned, there are some useful classes that teach you
> about how a computer works. For example, understanding what goes on in
> the registers or how the various aspects of memory work can give you a
> better perspective on how to program well. (And of course, math courses
> and such are beneficial.)
>
> Not to say there aren't neat things you can learn to do in high level
> courses. I'm just convinced, more than ever, that you don't learn /how
> to program/ at a university. You have to do that on your own, with lots
> of trial and error practice.
>
> - --
> Christopher Howard
If this is covered later in this thread, please overlook me. Though I live
in China, and learned of this list through Christopher Howard via
LinuxQuestions.org, we are presently in America visiting for the first
time in three years. And I'm just catching up with this email account, and
reading this particular thread in order.

Speaking of which ... we have a website, and I am presently transferring
the registration and hosting. Now I need to design something and am
looking to learn HTML. I've seen various HOW-TO articles, but I don't
particularly want to spend time "building a website" which says "Hurrah!
This is my first website." I'd prefer to actually just learn the syntax or
whatever is appropriate for HTML/XHTML and possibly CSS, since it seems
that a lot of websites today are styled with CSS.

And, for those zealots, I'll only be using ViM to code the site. Any good
tutorials online that you guys would suggest?

I enjoy reading the AKLUG mailing list, and will somehow wade through the
170+ messages that have accumulated since I last fired up Mutt in China a
few weeks ago. ;)  (and now I can't seem to send with Mutt using msmtp --
will have to look into that tomorrow)

Thanks,
Bruce Hill