[aklug] Re: AKLUG and others

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 06:53:07 AKST

If you want to start at the beginning, w3c.org may be as good a place
as any. If you want to avoid a little pain try Amaya or nvu for
editing (or go big and install netbeans or eclipse).

Webreference.com has some nice dhtml tutorials and if you want to
learn perl cgi you can't go wrong with oreilly though I have quite a
list of urls if you want to go in that direction. There STILL R perl
cgi apps out there like hypernews or even an SMS app (we were recently
talking about ASDs purchase of zangle, an SMS app) written in very
nice perl.

You may want to explore SSIs to start, although you may not want to
stop there ;) danger will Robinson....

On the other hand, if you want to learn by example, install drupal
(wordpress, mediawiki) or another lamp app and deconstruct (and
there's mambo, joomla, etc as well all apps under current dev using
php and mysql for CM)

With the battle over html5 upon us, you could look at starting there.
We've just been discussing moodle which uses XHTML, which makes it
possible to do mathml

What else? I put together a project for HS students using perl parsing
and displaying XML, and if you want to get dirt under your
fingernails, that may be of interest as well (ie building your own
schema.)

Lastly, you could explore matters via openoffice. Under the hood it's
just an XML parser and it provides a huge range of options for
learning about transformations.

On Mar 4, 2010, at 8:52 PM, "bruce@slackwarebox.com" <bruce@slackwarebox.com